Pages

Wednesday, 16 June 2010

In the rock garden



I built up my rock garden some seventeen years ago. Firstly I cleared the ground from weeds and made "hills" of old bricks and other materials. I covered it all with polythene and old carpets. Finally, I covered it with earth. The stones are to be laid from the bottom to the top in a way to sit them well into the ground.  Add some more earth between the stones as you build them up.The best time to do this is autumn because the ground will settle a bit during winter. I did the planting the following spring. I used local stones. The stones were pretty old and covered with moss which gave the rock garden a certain charm. Please do not paint the stones! I saw some people doing that and it looks awful!!
Plan the rock garden in a sunny spot and plant it with cushion growing and creeping plants. There is also a place for spring bulbs and succulents.


My plant list: Sempervivum sp. ( several different kinds), Sedum spurium 'Variegatum', Allysum saxatile 'Corbeille d'Or', Phlox subulata, Phlox stolonifera 'Alba', Phlox subulata 'Red Wing', Pulsatilla vulgaris, Pulsatila vulgaris 'Alba', Festuca glauca, Armeria maritima, Armeria maritima 'Alba', Iris reticulata, Campanula portenschlagiana, Saxifraga stolonifera, Saxifraga sp., Tulipa 'Lilac Wonder', Tulipa 'Praestas Fusilier', Tulipa batalinii 'Bright Gem', Ophyogopon planiscapus 'Nigrescens', Liriope muscari, Muscary armeniacum, Erica sp., Geranium 'Max Frei', Sedum spathifolium, Eschscholtzia californica 'Jelly Beans', Aubrieta deltoidea, Crocus sp., Allium molly, Sedum album, Scilla sp.;



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!