Pages

Saturday, 3 July 2010

Albizzia from seed

photo http://www.tropicaflore.com/index.html


Albizia julibrissin is a tree from the family Fabaceae (Leguminosae). My friend gave me about thirty seeds in September last year and forgot all about them. In March 2010 I discovered the seeds in my seed box and decided to sow them.
To break the dormancy, pour hot water in a glass, wait for a minute and then put the seeds into it. Leave it to soak for 24 hours. Additionally you can scarify the seeds testa to help gremination.

31.3.2010.

My advice is to sow each seed into a separate pot or multi-cell tray because they do not transplant well when sown all together in the same pot. The seedlings have to be disturbed later on by pulling out with a dibber so, it is much easier to get them out of tray or pot. I placed the tray on the radiator. With some bottom heath they were out within the week time! I was really surprised how quick they grew. It seem they develop quickly the roots that go deep into ground. Transplant the young seedlings when they develop the first true leaves into separate deep pots.

24.6.2010.

Leave them in the pots for the first season, and plant out the next spring. They might need some protection against the cold in the first years of growth. I will transplant them once more in the bigger pot in autumn.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!