Pages

Friday, 9 July 2010

Consider the leaf

Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon'

The foliage is a very important part of a garden design. Most people when thinking of colour think of the flowers. With an exception of annuals, most plants have a period of flowering after which they look a bit dull or even unattractive.
But, there are so many plants with attractive leaves that can help us create beautiful border. I use Houttiynia for a sunny and light shady spots in my garden. It reaches the height of 30 to 50 cm and is good for the front of the border. I have it planted in a roundel with hostas and hemerocallises.


Pale flowers can be highlighted with a purple leaved plants like e.g. Ipomena batata. I use for containers.



Coleus can be found in a variety of colours...

Beautifully variegated leaves of Heliopsis helianthoides 'Loraine Sunshine'

Spotted leaves of Pulmonaria

When talking about the foliage, we must not forget the texture. Colour is always attractive but different shapes of the leaves may be attractive as well. I love ferns for their foliage feathery texture. They are good for shade, under the trees and shrubs.

Athyrium filix femina

Grasses add not only the texture, but also movement. One of my favorites is Pennisetum.

Pennisetum alopecuroides

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your posts...they are very informative.

    I have some Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon' planted in my one perennial bed. (I always dig some out and put it in a planter or two). I had purchased it a few years ago for a planter. It's a very nice plant. I agree with you regarding foliage, color and texture.

    Coleus is one of my favorite plants. I have more then 20 varieties. Unlike my daylilies...I do know all the varieties :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tank you, Robin. I delayed starting this blog because I thought I would not have themes to write about. How silly of me! Now I do not know what to write about first! And I really enjoy it following gardening blogs, including yours.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!