Pages

Tuesday, 6 July 2010

Fruits of the wood

Boletus aestivalis

I am a passionate mushroom lover and use every spear time to walk or cycle to the woods. The woods are not so far away from my house; that's the beauty of living in a small town.
I do not only pick them up for food but I make records of different species appearance and time of growth. This spring was really rainy and pretty warm so, I picked the first penny bun (Boletus aestivalis) in May.
These golden chanterelles (Cantharellus cibarius) and one a bit old penny bun on the photo are picked up yesterday. I guess I will prepare them with onion and eggs.


Here, there are some other species I have found this year. They are all edible.

Russula cyanoxantha

Russula virescens

Coprinus comatus - an excellent tasty mushroom as long as it is completely white. Once it starts to blacken and exude the "ink" it should be left alone. I usually fry them in a coat of flour, eggs and bread crumbs.


1 comment:

  1. Radha told me to check out your mushroom post. She is right. You are good at naming them. I have posted about mushrooms before and I have more photos of them but have no clue to their names or whether they are edible or not. How do you know so much?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!