Pages

Friday, 20 August 2010

Beautiful Hostas



Hostas are my favourite shade plants and I have more than 15 varieties of them in my garden. I love them because they are wonderful structural plants, with great foliage and flowers as well. They come in all shapes and sizes and variety of leaves colour.
Today, you can find a great number of Hosta varieties. Some of them are small, the other big, with huge leaves and flowers. Foliage colour may be blue, blue - green, pale or dark green; many have variegated leaves, usually with white or yellow on the margins, in the middle or all over the leaf.
 Hosta do best in semi - shade and moist soil. It is really easy growing plant that needs little care. The main problem are slugs and snails that damage the leaves. There are no slug proof hosta, but it seem the slugs love some more than the others. Blue and blue - green hostas seems to be more protected from slugs.
 
Hosta leaves damaged by slugs and snails.

The other problem occurs when they are exposed to sun. The leaves may get burnt, especially after the rain when the leaves are sprinkled with raindrops that act as small lenses.

Sun burnt leaf. 

My Hostas were badly damaged by hail some two months ago. I made a mistake and left them be. I should cut all the foliage right to the ground to make new one grow. They would look good by now. Anyway, I have to transfer some of my Hostas that are exposed to sun now. I had to cut down an old dried out apple tree that used to provide shade for them. I have already made a new layout plan for my future "Hosta Garden". You will see the progress, of course.

Hosta plantaginea is common hosta in most of our gardens. The leaves are pale green, soft and deeply veined that give the foliage nice structure. It flowers right now with white, fragrant flowers. (You can see hail holes on the foliage!)
 
Hosta "Wide Brim"; beautiful foliage, white flowers.
 
Hosta 'Sum and Substance' ; huge foliage, white flowers. It will be eventually pretty large and need lots of space.
 
Hosta 'Patriot'  ; white leaf margins and violet flowers.
 
  Hosta sieboldiana 'Elegans'; beautiful blue - green foliage, white flowers.

 Hosta 'Frances Williams'; unfortunatelly, damaged by hail and not looking good this year
                                                                            ***
Hosta can be propagated by division in spring or autumn. I have some hosta fruits this year and will try to grow it from seed.

Hosta fruit.


These two large hostas will be divided in September.

My Hosta list:

Hosta 'Frances Williams'
Hosta plantaginea
Hosta 'Sum and Substance'
Hosta fortunei 'Aureomarginata'
Hosta 'Patriot'
Hosta 'Silberloeffel'
Hosta 'Wide Brim'
Hosta 'Francee'
Hosta 'Undulata Variegata'
Hosta 'Halcyon'
...and some others I do not know the name.
Most of my hostas came from DECORA nursery.
For more hostas see American Hosta Society.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, bas imas dobru kolekciju! Predivno.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hostas are beautiful! Gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your drawing book is as enchanting as your garden. PA, USA

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!