Pages

Monday, 6 September 2010

Brugmansia

The flowers look like a trumpet.

I was surprised this morning to see my Brugmansia in full bloom despite of low temperature and lack of sun. The weather today is really autumn-like. It is raining and the cold wind is blowing. Anyway, it doesn't seem to bother my Brugmansia.
A few days ago, taking photo of my friend's Brugmansia I saw the flower tip yellowing because of the cold. See my post Nena's garden 2.

There are about seven species of Brugmansia (Fam: Solanaceae), plants that are native to subtropical South America. It is popular plant in Croatia. Coming from the warm climate Brugmansia cannot survive our continental winter outside and it is mostly grown in a pot. As it grows rather rapidly, Brugmansia needs a good portion of water every day and fertilizer once a week (you can use the same fertilizer as for tomatoes). I give my plants 10 l of water in the morning and in the evening too. The lack of water is easily seen by wilt of the leaf, that hang down as soon as the water level drops.

These are symmetrical leaves.

The plant develops flowers in the area of asymmetrical leaves. I plant mine into the ground and dig it out when cold weather starts. I cut some roots and branches off and place it to overwinter in the cellar. It is important not to cut branches below the area with asymmetrical leaves because plant may take longer to start to bloom next season (after new branches develop). Water it sparingly during the winter and do not fertilize it. It will be dormant until spring.
If you have enough place in a house or a glasshouse, Brugmansia may overwinter as house plant. Leaf drop is normal until it adjusts to new growing condition. It need lots of sunlight so put it on the south facing place.

Asymmetrical leaf and a flower bud.

The plant may be propagated from 20 cm long stem cuttings taken from the end of branches. I put them in the pots immediately and water regularly. It really takes roots very easy.

My young Brugmansia.

NB. The plant is related to our native Datura, that is also grown as cultivar. Both Brugmansia and Datura are highly poisonous plants so be careful when handle the cuttings. Wash the tools after pruning.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful flower but poisonous. Love to have it in the garden but thinking of kids have to enjoy it from your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing this post it came to my mind how many poisonous plants we actually have in the garden! I will certainly write about it, as soon as I make an inspection in my garden!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!