Pages

Thursday, 2 September 2010

New Hosta Garden, part 1


This partly shady corner of my garden under the large hazel bush will be an ideal place to make a new home for my Hostas. They are now in a sunny spot and not feeling very well. The sun is too much for them; they got burns on the leaves. They are also very big and need to be divided.
I spent some time in August thinking about my new "Hosta Garden", as I called it. After having measured the ground, I use to make drawings. There are usually two or three drawings as I progress having new ideas and making changes until I get the final version.

One of the sketches.

I have started today with the round brick paving. The first thing to do was to mark the circle on the ground and remove the grass. The next thing was to excavate the earth to place the bricks. The brick bed has to be even which can be checked with the water level. This is the hard job so I managed to lay only the first circle of the bricks today. Besides, I did mowing the lawn before it and already got tired a bit.

Brick paving in progress...

As concerned plants, I already have the following:

Hosta plantaginea
Hosta 'Silberloeffel'
Luzula sylvatica
Asplenium scolopendrium
Carex ornithopoda 'Variegata'
Vinca minor
Polygonatum multiflorum
Paeonia 'Rubra plena'
Allium ursinum
Athyrium filix-femina
Artemisia lactiflora 'Guizhou'
Hemerocallis fulva

And, these are already ordered from Decora nursery and are coming next week:

Astrantia 'Roma'
Astrantia 'Ruby Wedding'
Astrantia 'Shaggy'
Cimicifuga racemosa 'Atropurpurea'
Dryopteris affinis 'Cristata the King'
Pachysandra terminalis 'Green Carpet'
Paeonia 'Monsieur Jules Elie'
Tiarella 'Iron Butterfly'
Waldsteinia ternata
Hosta 'Halcyon'

The existing plants will be rearranged and mixed with the new ones according to my plan.

1 comment:

  1. Hurray you are up and running. I think your drawings are fabulous. Plant list sounds great too.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!