Pages

Sunday, 24 October 2010

Make a Home for Insects

I had a very interesting and productive Saturday. Firstly, a friend of mine came to me saying we should take a walk across the fields and into the woods. I cannot ever say no to the idea like that. Secondly, I spent a few hours in the afternoon making the insect hotel from the material I collected in nature. It was very relaxing; I always feel good when I do something creative. This small insect hotel will be attached on the wall of my garden shed. The shed is under construction now but, I am already making a planting plan for the area around it and the decoration of the shed itself.


I recycled wooden fruit box to provide the material for the house. The wood is thin so you can even cut it with a strong scissors. I nailed the pieces together and strengthen the joints with silicon.


These are stems of Angelica and some other members of Apiaceae family. They are hollow and make an ideal material to fill in the house. Make sure the stems are not completely dry because they split easily when cut. I cut them all to the same length and filled in the lower part of the house. I secured them from falling out with a bit of wood glue. The triangle under the roof is filled with pieces of rolled cardboard.
The roof is decorated with plantain tree bark and piece of wood I found in the forest. It was covered with these tiny mushrooms.


The weather is warm, clouds don't bother me. I need to collect some more twigs, rose hips, acorns, pine cones, tree bark because I have some more ideas on my mind. So, I am taking again my walking shoes and go out. If you have some spare time do it too.



9 comments:

  1. You did an amazing job building this insect house. I think it is wonderful. I especially like the branch with the mushroom which you added. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool. Not only is it functional and useful to critters, it is beautiful as well. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a very enjoyable post. Most insect houses use bamboo but the Angelica stems are so much better. Insects will be snug in there.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. How creative and fabulous!!! I love the piece of wood with the little mushrooms. You should take another picture after the bugs have moved in. :0) Wonderful! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great insect house! I hope you'll report in the summer who moved in...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Vesna Its a while since I have been here - love the look of your insect house and use of angelica. When I cut it down it always seems a waste to chuck it on the compost heap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all! I am so eager to see the first inhabitants in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a quaint idea!! And so well executed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That insect house is such a great idea - and great looking, too!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!