Pages

Wednesday, 13 October 2010

Pumpkin, Squash and Gourd Parade

Pumpkins, squashes, gourds, marrows... all names for the fruit of colourful members of one plant family Cucurbitaceae.
They are grown for food but also for fun because they come in numerous varieties of colour, shape and size. Many of us will soon carve the pumpkin for fun and make the pumpkin pie for Halloween. Being so attractive, in almost every country where they are grown there are pumpkin festivals organized.
Who does not like to eat dry seed or many dishes made of these sweet fruits? I also use the oil extracted from seed in my cuisine; excellent in kidney bean salad.

 

These are called 'Turk Cap' (Cucurbita maxima)






Lagenaria vulgaris

Cucurbita pepo var. ovifera

Note: If you vant to get the fruit true to the type plant different varieties well away from each other. Othervise, they will cross-pollinate and there will be all kinds of fruits which is, of course, not so bad, especially if you love surprices.


3 comments:

  1. Vesna, They are really beautiful and unique. I haven't seen most of them. May I know how you handle the squash beetles? When I planted pumpkin, my garden was swarmed with insects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not really noticed any pest on my pumpkins. If you don't like spraying with pesticides, collect them manually before they reproduce themselves.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!