Pages

Saturday, 26 February 2011

The First Crocus This Year


Though I have already seen crocuses in the park, this yellow fellow is the very first crocus in my garden this year. It did not opened because there is no sun. It seems quite all right considering the temperature below zero and some snow we had yesterday. I have crocuses scattered in my lawn and can't wait to see them again. They appear on strange places where, I am certain, I haven't planted the bulbs. Likely, they self-sow easily. The rest of them will appear soon, as the sunny days wake them up in March. A few weeks of their above-ground life is usually enough time to produce seeds before I do the first lawn mowing. This one is probably Crocus aureus, one of the earliest species.


6 comments:

  1. How nice, that's interesting that they grow in your lawn. I am patiently waiting for my first crocuses to bloom. Sometimes the rabbits eat them before they bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Divan je,kako se simpatično pojavio..naše krokuse kojima su se tek formirali prvi listići zatrpao je ogroman snjeg,nadam se kada okopni snjeg da će se i oni pojaviti ovako...veliki ti pozdrav!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed my first grape hyacinth today! Isn't it exciting to see bulbs come up? They are such a fun surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is exciting to see the first blooms come up in your own garden. I love that they are in your grass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lijepo.. Evo sad će nam pravo proljeće, pa će mu se i ostali pridružiti..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Krasan je, i ponosno prkosi hladnoći...

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!