Pages

Sunday, 27 March 2011

Walnut Tree, Compost and the Daffodils

Saturday afternoon, after having pulled down an old walnut tree, I was not up to gardening work any more. There was many heavy trunk parts to take away and piles of small branches to collect and rake off the lawn. Finally, the dead tree is down and one of the Spring tasks done. I will plant crab apple Malus x robusta 'Red Sentinel' instead of the walnut tree to have some shade over the sitting area. I love that crab apple with lovely small, bright red fruits.

Though a bit tired, after a short break, I went into garden again. The rain was announced for today so, I decided to sift some compost before it became to wet. It was really ideally moist for the job yesterday and I made six wheel barrows full of wonderful compost. Last year I finally made the compost sift out of wooden frame and wire net to fit the size of wheel barrow. Now I simply put it over and sift the compost directly into a wheel barrow. I think I will have enough compost this year to cover all the vegetable beds and some flower beds as well.

sifting compost

These grubs are often to be found in compost heaps and probably belongs to the May-bug, (Melolontha melolontha, Coleoptera).  





5 comments:

  1. The daffodils are so beautiful. Ours are slowly growing. A few more weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kod tebe je bilo vidim podosta radno,i kod nas ima posla,jedino nas kiša ometa...narcisi su u punoj cvatnji i baš su prekrasni:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Vesna, yours is the first blog i see from Croatia. Thanks for picking my post i was able to see yours. We dont have daffodils as we only have the dry and wet seasons, but we have plenty of those grubs as well, haha! I have a friend in Croatia who is at the Plant Variety Protection Board.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I wanted to email you in regards in any possible advertising opportunities you may have with your website. I'm looking to earn support for a national cause and get visibility for the "plant 1 billion trees" project. Shoot me an email and let me know if you would be interested at all in supporting this cause or if you want more information on it. I look forward to talking to you soon!

    Nerissa
    nerdbarry@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vredno i radno kod tebe. Rado bih ti pomogla, da sam bliže:) a ovako, šaljem ti puno "radne snage". Narcis je divan. Pozdrav

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!