Pages

Friday, 27 May 2011

Chelsea Chop


Going through my RBG Kew working diary, I found a short note titled "Chelsea Chop". This is a method of cutting back perennials such as phloxes, rudbeckias and Michaelmas dasies by about half their length. The right time to do it is at the end of May during the Chelsea Flower Show week in England - hence the name "Chelsea Chop".
I did it on my Phlox cultivars because they reached the proper hight to do it. I will do it on Rudbeckia and daisies a week later. They are still too low, probably because of the slower growth during cold weeks we had lately.
This will make the plants shorter and sturdier and they will need no support. I did it on only a half of stems leaving some flowers to come early and the other half later. This method prolongs flowering time too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!