Pages

Friday, 24 June 2011

Honeysuckle


I think, most of you would agree with me when I say that honeysuckle has one of the most intoxicating of all garden scents. It is especially intensive in the evening and all through the night when it spreads over the garden and comes into a house through the open windows.


I planted one of my honeysuckle some four years ago after having rescued it from a certain death! My aunt, namely, all of the sudden decided that the honeysuckle became too big for the spot and wanted to eradicate it! Luckily, I was there that day visiting her and took the root ball  to my garden. Ever since, it has been growing happily up and along the fence and on the rose arch as well. It twines alone on the support and doesn't need tying up. It is my scented sitting place right in the middle of the vegetable garden; the rose 'Felicite Perpetue' on one side of the arch, honeysuckle on the other...

honeysucle and rose 'Felicite Perpetue'

Honeysuckle loves moist, rich and light soil. They are adopted to shade but love to have some sun during the day. They can be easily propagated by semi-ripe cuttings taken in July or August.

Scented friends, honeysuckle and 'Felicite Perpetue'

***

Yesterday evening I sow a multitude of fireflies in the garden! They always appear around June 24th, when Christians celebrate St. John the Baptist Day. It was a beautiful sight and I thought how little it takes to bring smile on our face, don't you agree?



7 comments:

  1. It does bring a smile to my face ... but the glory of nature is not a little thing !

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a path I frequent on walks that has numerous honeysuckle plants. As I walk through and begin to get the scent of honeysuckle, I slow down, breathe in deeply, and savor that sweet and wonderful scent....it is intoxicating. One day, I hope to add it to my garden as you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes little things can give great pleasure! I would love to see a Firefly in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your honeysuckle is lovely. How provident you arrived when you did to rescue it! Ours bloomed almost 4 weeks ago - I think we are a bit ahead of you climate-wise.

    Mine is a small shrub right now but hopefully it will keep growing and twining with the roses. Mine is paired with Zephirine Drouhin and the fragrance of both is divine.

    BTW, I do love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the comments.
    Cathy and Steve, my honeysuckle already gave it's best but there are still some flowers on it. Now the red one started to open their blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love honeysuckle especially on a warm evening

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mirisnu kozokrvinu imam dugo i stvarno joj je miris poseban:)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!