Pages

Sunday, 18 September 2011

Tomato Crop


These egg shaped tomatoes are the fruits of my enormous tomato I wrote about in one of my previous posts.       
I think there is still more than a hundred fruits on it! Really, I haven't seen anything like it before. It is still growing bigger, that is - longer, because the stems are crawling on the ground. Thinking about it, isn't it the natural growth of the tomato? It is us who stake it and train the stems around the support. That is our way to spare the space needed for its growth.


My cherry tomatoes are also planted a bit later than the other ones. This no rain weather does not bother them at all. Every now and then I pick up plenty of ripe fruits.


This is what I picked up today...

Good news: The rain is coming! It is supposed to rain for a couple of days. My fingers are crossed.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so glad you may get rain! I hope you do. I just threw out my giant tomato plants that were crawling around! You're exactly right - I just needed the room! You have a very large harvest! Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rajčice su ti prekrasne,baš imaš raznovrsnih,naše su pobrane većinom,suša je učinila svoje i njima....oblaci nailaze i evo željno čekamo kišu...veliki pozdrav:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomatoes are amazing aren't they. So good that you got such a nice crop and some rain now

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grape tomatoes grow like that as well. I was surprised, but then I was glad I got such large tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your tomato harvest is quite impressive. Mine suffered from our drought and then our 17" of rain in three weeks. Next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you had some good rain. Your tomato crop is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss working on tomatoes, this shape of tomatoes are what i worked on for my Masters thesis. Do you know that our tomatoes are mostly yellow than red? That is because it is so hot here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tomatoes have done excellent - that's quite a harvest you have! I have had tiny harvests compared to yours. Well done, Kelli.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great crop! So now you will be making tomato sauce to freeze for the Winter, I expect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic tomato crop, they only grow in the greenhouse here in Aberdeen. Like your feedjit thing, if I was younger I would say it was cool, there you go I have said it, silly old fool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Mark, I haven't made any tomato sauce out of my tomatoes but I made something called 'Pindjur'. I will put the recipe in my next post. by then, let it be a mystery!

    Alistair, stay young at heart, that counts.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!