Pages

Saturday, 11 February 2012

Hungry Birds

Again my bird feeders hang on the terrace and lots of hungry birds come to snitch some food. I also spread some nuts on the terrace and the window sill. I am sure they have difficulty finding the proper food in nature because everything is covered with deep snow. I noticed some new species of birds visiting the feeders. Besides my old friends sparrows, tits, nuthatches and robins, I noticed two species of finch as well. The photographs are taken from behind the closed window and are not particularly well but, I decided put them on the blog anyway.


This is the Brambling (Fringilla montifringilla)


This one is the Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs)

They may appear rather the same but they are two different species of the same family of the true finches - Fringillidae. The first one has pale colour feather on the head. 
Besides the finches, the bird feeders are also regularly visited by woodpecker, blackbird and even jay. All the birds come at the same time and seem not to disturb each other - that tells how harsh this winter is at the moment.
And, the snow is falling down again today...

6 comments:

  1. We get lots of Chaffinches here, but I don't think I have ever seen a Brambling. Today I have seen Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Starling, Blackbird, Thrush and Wood Pigeon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see a jay in our garden? We occasionally get a woodpecker but a nuthatch is another of my must have in the garden bird.

    My sister was excited this week as for two days she has had a couple of pheasants in her tiny fenced garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kalipso, We have goldfinches and housefinches, but no chaffinches. There were chaffinches in my garden in England and I miss them here in PA. You have heavy snow?!! We have a light dusting, today ... so different from last year. I fear for my plants which haven't had any snow protection. Let's think spring! P x
    PS Love your blog template!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kod nas je pun vrt ptičica,hranimo ih i one nam uzvraćaju posjetom...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little birds are sweet. We feed the birds here in grand style. I make a peanut butter/lard cake for them. they devour the cakes and beg for more. I enjoy seeing birds in other parts of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We get lots of Finches and other garden birds but I don't think the Jay comes as far north in the UK. Can you beleive we still haven't had snow this year.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!