Pages

Monday, 10 September 2012

Strange Flower and a Hoof


Nature creates the most beautiful gardens and plants the most unusual plants or mushrooms, in my case. This mushroom is called 'Chicken of the Woods' (Laetiporus sulphureus) and appeared on some old dead tree trunk in the park. Pretty strange considering the drought.


They look like a giant flowers. Aren't they beautiful? By the way, they are edible when young. I photographed another mushroom called 'Artist's Bracket'. Don't you love the common names?

Ganoderma applanatum

This is a bracket fungus that lives on dead or older trees. Why the name 'Artist's Bracket'? The underside, where the tiny holes are holding spores, is white and one can draw on it with some sharp implement. The lines soon became dark and you get your picture!

1 comment:

  1. The first one looked just like a flower, I have never seen one like that, guess if they all looked like that I would want them all over my garden!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!