Pages

Thursday, 17 January 2013

I Got Straw!

box that caught a cold..

That 15 cm of snow that fell down a few days ago was about all we had. The winter magic lasted until evening. Most parts of Croatia have piles of snow (some parts did not see so much snow in the last 120 years!) and cope with traffic collapse. Here, the rain is drizzling. Well, the rain is not so bad as long as the temperature stays above zero.
Reading your blogs I have realised that all of you are as impatient as I am to start the new gardening season. Most of us is about sorting out the seeds which I am doing too.

One box for flower, the other box for vegetable seed...

I will certainly sow some of the seeds inside by the end of February. By the end of March, the weather would be warm enough to start sowing peas outside and some vegetables indoors. I love to have early seedlings to plant them out as soon as the soil warms up. As for flowers, I will sow them all outdoors and need to wait for the warmer days. I have not so much space in the house to keep all the pots and trays.


Yesterday I got this nice pile of straw. I will used it this year as mulch in the vegetable garden. For years I do not dig the soil in my vegetable garden but only loosen it up with strong fork. I add compost, some organic manure and wait for the soil to warm up. I used to mulch it with grass cuttings but now I got straw!
If you would like to read more about it and lots of other good things, please go to the 

***

Snow on the Adriatic coast is really rare! This is a scene from the town of Split!









3 comments:

  1. I'm going to follow your blog, it's very interesting :) Visit my Slavic garden blog. Greetings from Poland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So now you can grow STRAW-berries...

    Lovely picture of Split! They should make that one into a tourist postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are still waiting for the snow here in London, might get some tomorrow which will mean total chaos of course, always is!

    I can't wait for the spring, I also want to sow seeds and get my garden started :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!