Pages

Sunday, 14 April 2013

Being Busy


I worked in my garden today for three hours. Everything grows fast, weeds too! Grape hyacinths are everywhere, even on the lawn spread by seeds. It looks the best when grown 'en mass'. Isn't it the color is so beautiful?


Thanks God, the broad beans showed up at last. I already thought it never will because I sowed it some six weeks ago! Under the trees Luzula sylvatica, Greater Wood Rush, is in full bloom. This plant loves shade and is primarily used as ground cover. It spreads by stolons and quickly makes dense clusters. Although vigorous it is not invasive. Plants from the genus Luzula in nature usually grow in woods.


In the rock garden, there is one single Fritillaria. I am a bit angry with the cats visiting my garden. So many plants wilt because cats pee on them! I have many plants, some of them being rather expensive and I really have no understanding for these cats. I just don't know what to do with them.

Fritillaria meleagris

Tomorrow, I will mow the lawn for the first time this season. It is supposed to be sunny the whole week, just about enough time to bring everything back in order.
The weather man said that the last month was one with the most rainy days ever - 24!

3 comments:

  1. I had the same problem with Broad Beans - they took absolutely AGES to germinate this year. I love the Fritillary. I am trying to establish a patch of them in my own garden, but they don't seem very vigorous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Croatia, Fritillary grows in wild on moist meadows and it is happy on heavy soils. Try to find some moist corner for them, add plenty of humus and enjoy them. Maybe you did not plant them deep enough - 6 -8 inches shouldd be the right depth.

      Delete
  2. You are a busy bee. Best way to solve your cat problem is to get one of your own. Most of them hate other cats which will be chased off, leaving your garden with minimal damage.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!