Pages

Sunday, 30 June 2013

Berries Ripening


That is what my red currant looked like a week ago and today, the berries are ripe to be picked up. So I did it but only from one of the six red currant bushes I got.  There are so many berries on them! 


I picked up three great bowls of berries and decided to make a jelly of them. I love this sweet-sour taste of jelly in pancakes or in fruit cakes. Sometimes I add a little bit water and pour it over the ice cream cup.


I love to eat fresh berries too. Don't you just love this bright red color? To extract the juice I used my tomato juicer.


With this machine everything is very easy and quickly done. The juice goes on one side, the rest on the other, no need to remove the stems either! Then, the juice, sugar and special jelly sugar should be cooked together for a short time and poured hot into warmed up glass jars.


I always use small jars to spend the jelly before it grows mold.








10 comments:

  1. I'm sure our red currants were ripening during our plot visit this afternoon. When we left they looked so much redder than when we arrived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The berries are smaller this year, I guess it is because there's so many of them.

      Delete
  2. I prefer small jars too! They're better, because when you need some small amount open 1 jar, when you need more, just open 2 jars :)

    and small jars look cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful series of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos remind me why I stopped growing currants! I used to have Red, White and Black currants, but no-one had the patience to pick them except me, so I said "If you won't pick them, I won't grow them"! I now have Raspberries in the place where the currants used to be - and I love Raspberries more than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is sometimes annoying to pick them up, but that's almost with all the berries. One needs patience.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful garden,nice day
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here (in Canada) the red and black currants are not yet ripe but I will soon be picking the gooseberries as I prefer to use them slightly green. They make a jam that is more tart. The tomato juicer seems a marvelous thing. I will look for one.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!