Pages

Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Roses in June

Rosa mundi

June is the month of roses. Most of them are at their best at this time of year. What a pity is has been raining for days and some of the buds barely open and rot as they are. I don't remember when was the last time I sow the sun! And these terrible floods in Germany and Austria... hope the rain will stop soon.


I agree, roses are beautiful and man created many wonderful cultivars. But somehow, the wild looking ones are closer to my heart. Their flowers might not be as gorgeous and attractive as the modern cultivars but on the other hand, they have some good advantages.

'Sally Holmes'

They are usually more resistant to pests and diseases, smell wonderfully and are more vigorous. Rosa mundi, the one of the first picture above is probably the oldest cultivated rose with striped petals in the world. It  known before 1200 A.D. and is cultivated up today. It is also known under the name Rosa gallica versicolor. The flowers are simple, striped and fragrant. 
The second one, named 'Sally Holmes' is the vigorous climber/rambler I planted last year and this is its first flowering season. It produced only three shoots this year so, I have plenty of time to build the arch for it.

'Jacques Cartier'

'Jacques Cartier' is a rose from the Portland group of roses. It smells wonderfully and flowers several time in a year. I managed to cut off the fading flowers yesterday on this rose bush. There was so many flowers ruined by rain.


1 comment:

  1. Your roses look beautiful, despite the rain! I just love that 'Jacques Cartier'. I am anxiously awaiting rose bloom time here - we are behind schedule and it has become cool again. Oh, that pesky Japanese beetle! Hope you avoid the flooding.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!