Pages

Friday, 20 September 2013

Mushroom


I am a great mushroom lover and finding a specimen like this one makes me overwhelmed with happiness. The one of the reasons for this reaction is the fact that this fungus is very rare. It is 
Polyporus umbellatus, the Umbrella Polypore (once Grifola umbellata). 

Notice my hand underneath, and this is only a half of the whole bush!

The fruiting body consists of numerous caps growing from the base. The mushroom prefers oak stumps. This one of mine weighed 2 kg! It is edible, very savory and delicious. I gave a half of it to my neighbour who also loves mushrooms but he is more interested in their edibility. I, on the other hand, love the mushrooms in all their aspects and for years notice and photograph all the mushrooms I can find.


Well, the mushroom is edible. Fry it in on the butter with a bit of onion or garlic, season with some salt and pepper. Eggs might be added too at the end of cooking.
There is another specimen similar to this one - Grifola frondosa, Hen of the Woods. It is edible too so, no fatal mistakes possibile.

Check for my other findings on my other blog

3 comments:

  1. That is certainly an impressive fungus! It reminds me of a cauliflower...
    I saw a big clump of "Chicken of the Woods" at the base of a big oak tree earlier this week, but I was driving in my car so I couldn't really stop to pick it or photograph it.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!