Pages

Tuesday, 8 October 2013

Day Out


My cousin called me yesterday evening saying: 'Be ready tomorrow morning at six o'clock. I am going to pick you up and we are off to the woods to gather mushrooms.' Well, how can I cannot say no to that? Today is a national holiday and I have a day off. But my cousin had to be at work at one o'clock. That's why we were going out so early. And besides, we had one hour drive to the forest we wanted to go. 
The beams of the rising sun going through the trees was my first camera shot this morning...
***
We walked good four hours and found quite a lot of mushroom specimens. Well, finding specimens and taking pictures of them was more my goal of this trip. My cousin and her friend we picked up on our way to the forest were more interested in mushroom edibility!
Anyway, I took lots of photographs and found some edible mushrooms as well: cep, honey fungus, parasol mushroom, and a few specimens of the genus Russula. 


The most abundant were the Trumpets of the Dead mushrooms, Craterellus cornucopioides. I am going to dry them and have them as a spice to various dishes e.g. goulash. When dried the flavor becomes more intense and seems like a black truffle.
It started to rain just a few minutes ago and the temperature is not so low as one might expect.  Interesting, the next five days the temperature should rise up to 23°C! With enough moisture, the weather conditions should be favorable for the mushroom growth. I don't have to take a long walk to find them. I pick them in the town park quite near to my house.



7 comments:

  1. My aim would have been to take photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took 55 photos and had a wonderful mushroom dinner as well - what a well spent morning.

      Delete
  2. I wish I knew a fingus expert with whom I could go out and gather "mushrooms" for eating. There are lots of them around, but I don't know enough about them to safely harvest them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you should try to learn one, two common species that appear almost every year and can be determined without suspicion, e.g. cep, chanterelle and shaggy inkcap...

      Delete
  3. Your woodland photo is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to find you again, Vesna! I've missed visiting you.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!