Pages

Thursday, 24 October 2013

Roses, Roses


For years I buy my roses from the same nursery. This year I bought three new and one I already had. Unfortunately, the beautiful rose 'Baron Girod de l'Ain' suddenly turned all copper brown and died! So, I wanted to replaced it. 
I find bare root roses the best way to plant them. Autumn is the best time to plant them. They will be dormant through the winter having still plenty of time to root themselves first.


Before planting them, it is good to leave them overnight in a bucket of water. There are a few simple rules when planting them. The hole needs to be deep and wide enough to place the roots freely into it. I add some organic fertilizer and water well after filling the hole with a mixture of soil and compost. Roses love slightly acid soils and adding leaf mould or leaf mulch does them good.
My new roses are:
'Augusta Loise', tea hybrid
'Acropolis', floribunda
and, 'Ispahan', old, damask rose.





5 comments:

  1. Look forward to seeing them flower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love David Austin roses and 'Ispahan' is one I would have liked to have in my garden if I could find a space for it. Good luck with your roses, looking forward to seeing them next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. English roses are my favorites. I just love the perfume and these beautiful flowers with lots of petals.

      Delete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!