Pages

Friday, 14 February 2014

Odd Weather


Like in England, some parts of Croatia have been suffering heavy rain fall and strong winds for days. The vast areas of land are under water. Poor people! Many of them are more worried about their cattle and crop in polythene tunnels and glasshouses than themselves. The whole winter the weather has been rather odd - unusually warm, with lots of rain and strong winds. 
Considering the weather here in Croatia, travelling to the east leaves the bad weather behind. 
One might feel guilty for having sunny day and planning to sow the pea - like I do. I bought my favourite cultivar of pea yesterday, 'American Wonder'. It proved itself the best for my garden. I did not sow it after all. It was raining overnight and now is the soil too wet to work on it. 


Last autumn I mulched all the beds in the vegetable garden with straw. I am very pleased I did it. As you can see, there is no single weed peeping out. When the days became warmer, I will rake it off for soil to warm up. After sowing the seeds and planting the seedlings, I will put it back to keep the weeds off and keep the soil moist.






2 comments:

  1. Your weather seems to have been much like ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We on the other hand had been without heavy rainfall for weeks....

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!