Pages

Thursday, 27 March 2014

The First Seedlings


The very first to germinate were the seeds of kale and kohlrabi. Being of the same cabbage family, the kale and kohlrabi seedlings look almost the same. The kohlrabi seedlings have slightly purple stems as the cultivar is called 'Vienna Purple'.
We had some rain on Monday and the temperatures dropped, but not so much as in other parts of Croatia where hail and snow accompanied with the strong wind again caused lot of troubles. 


The peas too came out. It is a low growing pea variety, but anyway, I used to put some old branches to make a support for the stems. It is the old-fashioned way to support the pea, the way my grandmother used to do it. I could spread the plastic mesh but I am not sure I want the plastic in my garden.


The Lovage (Levisticum officinale) is already very big. I am quite surprised how quickly it grows. I use it mostly in soups.


Lettuce is looking healthy as well...


... and this forgotten kohlrabi started to form the flowers. I did not sow any vegetable seeds outside yet. I think I will do it in about ten days, following my biodynamic lunar calendar.




2 comments:

  1. Looks great! I need to get sowing some seeds too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The lettuces look great! I'd eat them right away :D

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!