Pages

Sunday, 6 April 2014

Bird House?


Checking out the two birdhouses I attached to the garden shed, I noticed that the entrance of one of them is sealed by mud. I guess it is mud, it could be this papery material that wasps and some bees make. I did not want to touch it in order not to ruin the hard work. Standing on the chair and taking the photo I managed to catch the bee sealing the opening. In the other bird house (or should I call it a bee house?) I noticed the honeycomb. 


In the insect hotel I made some years ago many of the tubes are also sealed. The solitary bees are as much important as the honey bees doing the important job of pollination and I am glad they like the homes I made for them. Ever since my childhood I've been fascinated by nature. No matter how many times I sow all the beauties of nature, it never sized to amaze me.
I have always collected the various items, like pebbles, shells, insects, even live animals. My mum told me that I, when I was a child, brought her the lizard, and a handful of lady birds!


These are some of my findings - honeycombs and these odd mud buildings. You can see the cells with chrysalis remains. 




4 comments:

  1. My sister has had wasps in her bird house in the past

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have to take down the "To Rent" sign from that bird apartment! If a bird tried to move in, the bees might give it a nasty surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea! I had quite a laugh with this suggestion of yours. I might do it for fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey everybody, If you like building sheds like I do, here's a great site for you to download shed plans:

    DOWNLOAD 12,000 SHED PLANS

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!