Pages

Thursday, 10 April 2014

The Two Shrubs


The two of my numerous shrubs that grow all along the garden fence are now in full bloom. The one is Prunus laurocerasus,  the cherry laurel and, the other one is Kerria japonica, Jew's Mallow.
I love the cherry laurel because it is evergreen and makes a nice screen. 


This year it produced many inflorescences full of white flowers. They are great attraction for bees and other insects and I must tell you there is a big buzz around it! I prune it only with secateurs to keep the shrub in shape. Many people grow it as evergreen hedge. But, personally, I don't like it because by shaping the hedge these large, shiny leaves must be cut which doesn't look very pretty.


Kerria was the first one shrub planted on this site and I wanted to get rid of it in order to plant cherry laurel and some other shrubs. Kerria has long week shoots that often arch down and scramble over other plants around. That is why I wanted to eradicate it from this place. It looks lovely when in bloom, though. 
Anyway, it seems that it was not so easy to remove it from the ground  - it produces lots of suckers and shoots, any of them left in the ground will grow into a new plant.


So, if you cannot beat it...
 Now is the cherry laurel big enough to hold the Kerria shoots and I will just let it be. The yellow flowers of wild specimen of Kerria are simple and I have a cultivar with full blooms 'Flore Pleno'.
I need to prune it right after flowering because it forms blooms on previous year wood. 

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful shrubs! I really love the foliage of that cherry laurel. Your double-shrub looks great together. Those kerria blooms have fabulous color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. After all, they make a good couple.

      Delete
  2. I have a new Kerria shrub that is flowering nicely this year I was wondering when to prune it - would you cut it right down to the ground or just prune to keep it in shape?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have to cut back our laurels but after bird nesting as the birds love them. Did you notice the perfume from the flowers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the perfume attracts so many insects.

      Delete
  4. There is a lot of Kerria in the gardens round here. we call it "Jew's Mallow". This time of year is definitely the yellow time - there is Kerria, there is Broom (Cytisus), there is Gorse, there is Forsythia... etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the English common name; I have browsed the Internet to find it - someone got it wrong so, I got it wrong as well. I am going to change it now.

      Delete
  5. Prune it right after flowering, tidy up, remove the sucklings to keep in shape. Old shrubs may be cut back to the ground to rejuvenate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh! The shrubs in your yard look fantastic! The laurocerasus has got to be one of my favorites too. I really think your shrub combo is just perfect. You've got spectacular gardening skills. Thanks for sharing them! :)

    Melva Ullman @ MPDT

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!