Pages

Monday, 5 May 2014

Pests on roses


The rain finally stopped and the sun came out. I went out to check the seedlings placed in the grill. It seems that my improvised cold frame works. They are all well grown up and some are also ready to be planted out in the bed. As soon as the ground drains a bit, I am going to do it. 
This morning temperature was only 4°C but now it's much warmer. The following week should be without rain and I very much hope so. Many places were flooded again because the ground couldn't absorb so much water. 


Unfortunately, this moist and warm weather was ideal for develop of some diseases ans pests. Many Peony buds as well as foliage are infected by grey mould, Botrytis cinerea. I cut off all infected buds and leaves. I hate using chemical but it seems that spraying with fungicide is the only secure means to kill it, especially now when the rain splashed the spores all around.


I also found pests on roses. Buds are attacked by rose aphid, Macrosiphum roseae. I saw ladybirds around, maybe they help me keeping them under control. Meantime, I will continue pressing them with my fingers.  


These rolled rose leaves are product of larva of a little moth, the rose totrix, Archips rosana. Funny I haven't noticed any eggs on the rose wood. Females lay eggs on woody parts of the host plants. The eggs overwinter and hatch in Spring. I cut off all the rolled leaves and burnt them to prevent new moths to develop. 






4 comments:

  1. I'm glad I read this post, because I have a rose bush that suffers from rolled leaves like you describe, and now I know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also wondered what caused this, though I don't have a problem with it right now, but its good to know!

      Delete
  2. I am glad to help you both. Just remove all infected leaves and watch out for eggs or moths or caterpillars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that's a slight relief. Good save is nipping some of those infestations in the bud. You shouldn't really allow those creatures to grow any further, and overtake whatever it is you are trying to nurture there. It's the least you can do, amidst those types of unpleasantries. Kudos!

    Alta Peng @ Liberty Pest

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!