Pages

Thursday, 26 June 2014

Bugs Don't Bug Me


Some people think that they need to kill every little creature that crawls in the garden. Yes, some make damage (so do we, don't we?) but, there is also many gardening helpers among them. Even the creatures we call pests have some task in this world. The beetle above is Carabus (Procerus) gigas, the largest European ground beetle. This year there is quite a lot of them running around. Let them live - they primarily feed on slugs and snails.


This is Cetonia aurata, the Rose Chafer. The beetles nibble rose buds and other ornamentals and love the fruits as well. But, I let them be because they never make any severe damage to my plants. I see them mostly feeding on paeony or other flowers.


These two mating beetles are shield bugs, Graphosoma lineatum. I noticed many different shield bugs on the umbels of Apiaceae, e.g. lovage, dill, or fennel. It seems that they find the strong smell of these plants especially attractive. They mostly stay on flowers.

The Stag beetle, female 

The Stag beetles, Lucanus cervus, once common fliers in June, became so rare and are on the global list of declining species. I remember when I was a child, there were many of them flying in the evening. The larva feeds on tree sap and decaying wood and adult does not feed but depends on the fat reserves. It takes at least four years for larva to became an adult. My garden borders with the town park and sometimes I have these rare visitors landing on the plants, like this female on the rosemary bush. It is pretty big specimen; it seems that growing conditions over the years od development were quite well. 


5 comments:

  1. I see many shield bugs in my garden, they make plants look more decorative :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shield bugs are brightly coloured - most that I see are green, We could do with a lorry load of slug and snail eating beetles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was raining yesterday and my lawn was full of slugs, the orange ones, Arion sp. I think i cut over 100 hundred with the knife. And I am not exaggerating!

      Delete
  3. Please send some slug eaters to my Pennsylvania garden, Vesna! I am happy to hear you, like me, believe in the maxim 'live and let live.' Chemicals are a much worse enemy than bugs. P. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, if they could only eat all of them!

      Delete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!