Pages

Friday, 13 June 2014

Hydrangeas


Some of my Hydrangeas are already in full bloom, the other are about to flower. I have them in the front garden and  in mixed borders. In the front garden, there is a limited space for mixed border or something similar. Only Hydrangeas were planted in a line along the garden fence. I have two species of Hydrangeas in my garden; the most of them are H. macrophylla.


Hydrangeas love moist but well-drained soil, in a cool, semi-shady parts of the garden. It is not quite so for all of my Hydrangeas and in dry, hot summer I need to water them regularly. H. macrophylla comes in maove or pink shades but the flowers may be blue as well. It is not only the matter of various cultivars but the colour of the flowers changes depending on pH of the soil as well. 
The shrubs this year are especially big and full of flowers because I pruned them well and gave them a good portion of organic fertiliser in spring. The winter was mild and there was no frozen buds at all. I use to leave the flowering stems until next spring should the winter be cold. This protects lower buds form ice and cold and I only have to cut the damaged parts in spring.

This is what you get when the bush has almost ideal growing conditions.

Another species of Hydrangea I got is H. arborescens. This Hydrangea blooms only on new wood, and I just need to cut it to the ground in late winter. In my experience, to avoid the flowering stems to be floppy, it is best to cut the stems back to about 60 cm from the ground. Old stems act as a support to the new growth.


Hydrangeas are easy to grow from softwood, semi-ripe or hardwood cuttings. 
I would like to have H. petiolaria which is a climbing type. It would look nice on the wall of my red brick shed.
Just take a look at this one at 




3 comments:

  1. Do you try to influence the colour of the Hydrangea flowers in any way, and if so, what do you use? I have read that aluminium is the key - either adding it or keeping it away from the plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't. But it can be done with addition of aluminium as you have said or garden sulphur; it changes the colour from pink to blue. The pink flowers means that the soil is alkaline.

      Delete
  2. I'm waiting to see if a hydrangea grown as a pot plant and now planted in the garden changes colour.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!