Pages

Thursday, 3 July 2014

Foxglove


This Foxglove (Digitalis laevigata) is a native to Croatia and grows mostly in the coastal regions. Some years ago, on my way back from the sea side vacations, I brought home a handful of seeds and scattered it under the trees in my garden. Surprisingly, it grows pretty well.


Like any other Foxglove it self-seeds pretty well and I don't have to worry about the new generations of this lovely flower. All species of the foxglove are poisonous both to humans and animals, and both fresh and dry plants are toxic. So, one needs to be careful when handling these plants.


Anyway, they are very attractive, especially the cultivars with large flowers. It seems that this half-shade and well drained soil are ideal growing conditions for this plant. I know that wild Foxgloves grow on wide range of habitats, including roadsides, woodland clearings, hedge banks, sea cliffs and similar places. I am rather happy that it find a home in my garden as well.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never seen the yellow foxgloves, they're beautiful. I have only pink and white ones.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!