Pages

Monday, 28 July 2014

Tropical Weather


July is supposed to be the hottest and the sunniest month in a year. This dark picture of my garden illustrates what kind of weather we actually have for days. The periods of sun and rain exchange regularly every few hours. And, when it rains then it rains cats and dogs! Every time. In just a few minutes, all the streets are flooded. This almost tropical weather combined with frequent rain showers has provided the ideal breeding conditions for slugs. There is certainly more slugs in my garden than the last year, but some of my friends collect one plastic Cola bottle of these slimy pests in no time! I keep cutting them in half with a sharp knife. Slug pellets are useless in this wet weather.


My tomatoes are few this year. The weather again. Fungi infected the stems and the lack of sun prevents ripening of the fruits. I harvested some vegetables in the morning. Courgettes are doing rather well. So are the French and climbing beans, kohlrabi, Mangold and Swiss chard. What a pleasure it is to pick up fresh vegetables from your own vegetable garden. 


The white cactus dahlia doesn't seem to mind this weather. The Dahlias love plenty of water and thrive in this moist growing conditions which are not the most favourable weather for roses. Many of them lost the foliage due to fungal diseases. I've been waiting for the dry spell to spray them with the fungicide. I avoid using chemicals in my garden but sometimes I have no other choice. Though, some of them flower, like this cream-white rose called 'Elfe'.




4 comments:

  1. Great picture of the veg harvest in the basket, Vesna! As you say, it's very similar to mine! Getting a good crop of leafy greens is a major achievement when there are so many slugs about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I killed some slugs today but it seems that the population diminishes. One only has to be persistent in removing them.

      Delete
  2. There have been storms in the south of the UK but so far we - further north - have escaped most of them - I wish I hadn't said that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Sue, you can't beat the weather.

      Delete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!