Pages

Sunday, 24 August 2014

Cropping season


In spite of the rainy weather, some vegetables produce lots of fruit. I had a nice crop of cucumbers runner beans and courgettes. Pity, I don't know the name of the runner bean variety, the pods are very good. I prefer them as a salad, but I use them to cook a vegetable stew as well.


Soon, I will start picking up my very first tomatillo. The stems of the plants are all bend down under the weight of the fruits. I hope they won't snap before the fruits are ripe. Actually, I am not sure when are they ripe. Should they all turn dark or not? I wonder.


As the end of summer approaches, it is a time to do some tidying up in my plant nursery. I think I have washed more than 260 plastic planting pots of all shapes and sizes. I want to have them ready for spring and a new growing season. I have only washed them in water now and I do the disinfection in spring. It is essential to wash them thoroughly to avoid pathogen development on the soil remains. Before sowing, I wash all the pots and trays with fungicide to minimize the risk of so-called damping-off diseases. It is caused by several fungi, especially when sown indoors and the conditions were too wet and warm. There is nothing worse that to see the perfect little seedlings suddenly collapse and die and you have to do the sowing again.



4 comments:

  1. The Tomatillos I grew remained green even when ripe. That one in your photo looks ripe to me. They say that a tomatillo is ripe when its husk splits apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess so, I am going to wait for another few days to pick up several tomatillos at the same time. I am going to cook this 'salsa verde'.

      Delete
  2. We're trying to decide when kiwi berries are ripe - we tried one and it was really sour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess kiwi needs to be a bit sof to touch

      Delete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!