Pages

Sunday, 7 September 2014

Autimn is Here


Never mind the official Autumn day, it is already here. Everything is telling that: foggy mornings, rainy days, declining vegetation, walnuts, hazelnuts, empty stork nests and final crops in my vegetable garden. The summer was extremely rainy and the crop wasn't much of anything. Apart from plenty of French and climbing beans, all other vegetables were not at their best this season.


The tomatoes were poor and attacked by fungi so I pull them up early and burned to prevent the spreading of  disease. The only variety of tomatoes that 'survived' this odd summer weather was cherry tomato. I did not plant it myself. The plants germinated from seeds of the tomatoes left on the beds last year. That is also telling me how mild the winter was.


Now I have to fight the slugs and I am off in the garden. They come out in the evening. Not so very hard to spot them - they are pretty big (the moist weather is ideal for them) and bright orange in colour. I think I killed a hundred of them yesterday!









4 comments:

  1. Same here; despite a few successes, a very disappointing year for many crops. The weather has been my biggest challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. But your veg garden was far more better than mine.

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping for a few more sunny days like yesterday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a few sunny days and tomorrow the rain again!

      Delete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!