Pages

Tuesday, 9 September 2014

Old-fashioned Grapes


The 'jungle' behind my garden fence has surprised me once again. The branches of an ash tree were overgrown with grapevine and now they are bearing a lot of grapes! I have just harvested some of them. They went pretty high up into the tree crown and I won't be able to pick them all up!


I guess, it is an old cultivar called 'Isabella' which was very popular in private gardens because it is quite undemanding. It doesn't need any special care or pruning which I witness right now. This grape has a wonderful smell and is sweet to taste. The skin separates easily from the fruit and is rather thick. 
This grape produces rather poor vine and is known here as 'Director' meaning the vine easily takes control over the one who drinks it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!