Pages

Sunday, 30 November 2014

Bird (?) Feeder


I decided yesterday afternoon to take the bird feeders out of the garden shed and place them on the metal frame over my terrace where they serve the purpose throughout the winter. Namely, I got some fresh pork fat from a friend of mine and wanted to make the seed balls for the birds.


I was rather surprised when I discovered a papery structure attached on one of the bird feeders. Of course, I knew immediately what it is - a hornet (Vespa crabro) nest. It was the size of a tennis ball. I removed it with a knife and put into my cabinet of curiosities. I love to collect such thing from nature.


The structure is really beautiful. Most of the cells are empty. Only three of them contain something long and black, probably a few dead larvae. 


This is how the comb looks like. Each cell opening makes a perfect hexagon. It is a really fascinating piece of engineering, isn't it? 


Well, the bird feeders are now on its place. 

3 comments:

  1. I always think that it is incredible that an insect can devise such a structurally sound shape.

    Do you only feed the birds in winter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be interested to know what other interesting objects you have in your cabinet of curiosities, Vesna. P.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello everyone, If you like building sheds like me, here's a great link for you to download shed plans:

    Get access to 12,000 shed plans

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!