Pages

Thursday, 2 July 2015

Cutting and Pruning


Today is the third time as I harvested about 1 kg of French beans. I will cook a vegetable stew tomorrow with dill and some hot peppers. I picked up the very first cucumbers and two courgettes as well. It feels so good to go into the vegetable garden and pick up the fresh vegetables. I am repeating this every year, but whoever got one must be very grateful for it.


This is the squash 'Hokkaido'. It will take some time to turn bright orange and be ready for harvesting.


What I have been doing these days in my garden is pruning the spring flowering shrubs. The picture above shows what has left of my Weigelia. I gave it such a harsh cutback to rejuvenate the shrub. Don't you worry about it. The next picture shows how it was full of flower the next spring after my neighbour accidentally cut it almost to the ground with the chainsaw some years ago. Namely, he cut down an elder tree that was growing right on the border of our two plots. The elder tree fell right over my Weigelia and he did not see it. He finished cutting the branches of the elder tree and my Weigelia as well. Well, accidents happen and Weigelia never before had so many flowers as the next spring.


All of that was the new growth bending down under the multitude of flowers. 
I need to cut back the Mock orange and Deutzia tomorrow. Like Weigelia, they are also the shrubs that flower on the wood growth made in the previous season. 







2 comments:

  1. Do you have any Buddleia, and if so, how do you prune it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't got any Buddleia, but you can freely give it a hard cut-back in spring (March) if the bush is too big and untidy.

      Delete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!