Pages

Monday, 19 October 2015

Autumn Days


So far, the days have been warm with regular exchange of sun and rain. No wonder the flowers on my terrace still look so good. However, I started to move in the pots with the plants that cannot overwinter outside, the lemon, kumquat and oleanders.


I move in this trailing rosemary too. It has grown up a lot this summer and I just want it to stay alive. I mean, every rosemary bush I have planted out in the garden froze. I need to find the right variety of rosemary for the continental climate and find a good spot in the garden to plant it. I saw rosemary in other people's garden here, but they all have a sheltered position.


My walnut tree has quite a lot walnuts this year. I collected eight such bags so far and that is not all. I guess that is one of the most tedious jobs in autumn. Not to mention collecting the fallen leaves!
I had a little helper the other day, a squirrel from the park. Did not manage to take a picture of it, so clever in hiding on the other side of the tree trunk.


Asters are still in bloom, as well as the tall Sedums. This week is supposed to be warm and dry, so I am going to use the nice days to tidy up all the vegetable and flower beds. At least one lawn mowing is still in order and the garden will be ready for the winter. 


5 comments:

  1. I expect your local squirrels would like some of your Walnuts harvest. After all you have plenty to share! Have you tried pickling them? Pickled Walnuts are very popular in some parts of the UK. That Rosemary plant is a beauty too - very graceful. I can understand your desire to keep it safe over Winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried pickling them ever. But, a walnut liqueur is more popular here.

      Delete
  2. What will you do with all those walnuts? I love to see the splash of asters at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I manage to sell some walnuts and keep some for myself. We make cookies and cakes with walnuts.

      Delete
  3. Looks like you are right on track with your fall cleanup - I still have a ways to go. I've tried to overwinter rosemary as well - it wouldn't survive here, even in a sheltered spot. I was successful one year, but last year my rosemary didn't make it.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!