Pages

Wednesday, 22 February 2017

Pruning Time


Late winter is pruning time for my rambling rose 'Bobby James' and Wisteria, both of which climbing up over the terrace. I do the routine pruning of the rambling roses in late summer. That is the time for trimming of excessive growth. I remove all flowering stems and shorten the side shoots to one-third. At the end of winter, I remove all dead, frozen, diseased or weak shoots. Every second or third year, I cut the oldest shoots down to the ground. Usually, I leave maximally six new vigorous stems and secure them o the support.


Pruning Wisteria is pretty much the same. After the flowering (June or July) it is time to cut it back to 5 or 6 leaves. Thin the plant to give it more air circulation and sunlight. In late winter, all the shoots are to be cut down to 2 or 3 buds. 


1 comment:

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!