Pages

Saturday, 5 August 2017

The Heat Wave


We have been through the third heat wave this summer. The temperatures break the records going up to 42°C in some regions. My thermometer measured 39°C in the shade yesterday. The temperature in the full sun is certainly higher. As you can see, Croatia is all red. This Saturday is supposed to be the last day of this unbearable weather. I don't garden at all, only water the vegetable and flower beds in the evening every other day.


It is amazing how the plants successfully survive such conditions. In the night, they take up the water I gave them. During the day, the foliage looks as if they are going to wilt but no, it is only a way to endure the heat. As soon as the sun goes down, they came alive again. On the picture above is my giant pumpkin plant. It is so enormous that I cannot take the picture of the entire plant in one shot. Don't know the name of the variety, the skin is grey and it is excellent baked in the oven and as a soup ingredient. I got it last year from a friend of mine and sowed its seed. 


I will have a good crop of various members of Cucurbitaceae family this year: courgettes 'Romanesco' and 'Spaghetti', pattypan squashes 'Scallop mixed', 'Hokkaido',  'Waltham Butternut', 'Turk's Cap', 'Harrier' and a small pumpkin 'Jack Be Little'.

This is the young 'Hoolihan'.

I hope it will rain properly tomorrow. And thanks, but no, thanks, we don't need a hail storm or hurricane wind that destroyed the entire crop in some parts of Croatia.




1 comment:

I love your comments and appreciate your visit. Thank you!